Hub Cymru Africa and Sub Saharan Advisory Panel are delighted to announce a photography competition to close our year-long Reframing the Narrative project. The competition is open to both African and Welsh photographers with connections to partnership working.
This year’s theme is Solidarity and winning photographs will be included in an online exhibition.
Launch Date: 19th March 2021
Submissions deadline: 31st October 2021
Exhibition: 1st March 2022
Audience: Wales Africa Community
- Photographers based in Sub Saharan Africa with links to projects supported by Welsh charities or community groups
- Wales-based photographers working collaboratively with partners or communities in Sub Saharan Africa
- Professional Photographer
- Armature Photographer
- A maximum of 3 images per photographer
- Include title and a 50-word caption of each photograph describing who, what where, when and why.
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
The aim of the project is to promote positive images and perceptions of Africa and Africans. Photography records events and tells a story, however, images submitted must also:
- Include context
- Capture Solidarity and;
- Avoid being exploitative (especially for the purpose of fundraising)
- Image(s) demonstrates clear understanding on the term “Solidarity”
- Evidence of informed consent must be provided
- Images cannot be significantly manipulated by photo editing software
- Photographer gives permission for image(s) to be used by HCA and SSAP for the use of this competition, online exhibition and its promotion. Any use outside of this competition and related activities will be negotiated directly with the photographer.
The following values will consider when judging the entries: